About 6 minutes reading time
The central theses:
- More than 80 faculty and staff were recently nominated by their peers to be Michigan Medicine MVPs
- 10 were randomly selected to win an amazing prize, courtesy of Michigan Medicine Human Resources.
- Winners should expect to hear from a Human Resources representative later this week.
A few weeks ago, we asked you to nominate the Superstars in your area and make them Michigan Medicine MVPs. And as with most winning teams, it’s clear that the organization delivers excellence from every aspect of the team.
Whether you impact patient care, education, research, or community services; Whether you work on the main medical campus, in remote locations, or at home, you do what it takes to help Michigan Medicine improve health to serve Michigan and the world.
Congratulations to the following individual nominees who have been selected at random to win an amazing prize! Winners are expected to be contacted by a Human Resources representative later this week.
All other nominees and team winners are listed at the bottom of the story.
LaShawn LaFleur, Ambulatory Care Manager, Taubman Neurology
What can I say about a boss who puts herself on the same level as her subordinates when it comes to teamwork? She is always fair, professional, helpful and a good listener. LaShawn may have a thousand emails to address, but if her team goes down or something isn’t right, she’ll put work on hold and make sure we’re okay. The first words out of her mouth are, “What can I do to lighten the load?” Thanks to the best boss in the world!
Alexis Snyder, Assistant Pathologist, Necropsy Suite
Alexis is an excellent member of our autopsy service. She trains new residents from the ground up and offers her expertise on practical issues and excellent written feedback on reports. We are fortunate to have her on the Michigan Medicine team and we truly believe that she is the true MVP!
Mallory Newsted, Clinical Research Coordinator, Cardiology
Mallory is an exceptional colleague and leader of the study team. She ensures our team is organised, well prepared and knowledgeable in conducting clinical research ethically and scientifically. Your work ethic knows no bounds! Mallory ensures that all of our patients remain our top priority. I am proud to call her a colleague and honored to work with her.
Dionne Boettcher, psychiatric and nursing assistant
Dionne excelled by giving our patient a haircut and a beard trim, and giving his skin a good cleansing and lotion. Our patient looked like a completely different person and you could tell that having someone give him the personal attention to keep him comfortable made a huge difference in his recovery. We need more people like Dionne to help improve the overall health of our patients!
Shantosh Patel, App Systems Analyst/Programmer
In every case, Shantosh puts our customers and systems first; handles off-office coverage for employees while managing his own workload; supports and participates in positive, healthy debates about the pros and cons of solutions, providers and systems; acts as a walking encyclopedia of technical facts/options/aspects of systems; and helps others to understand everything. And all the while Shantosh is the most positive, cheerful and uplifting voice on the team. Thank you Shantosh!
Timothy Reynolds, MD, assistant professor of anesthesiology
An MVP is a star player who also increases team performance, and Dr. Tim Reynolds is definitely a clinical “MVP”. He is one of the most helpful colleagues in critical moments in the OR. This week alone he received an IV and a critical airway where others had failed. His humility and clear thinking in critical moments are phenomenal and he is the perfect team player.
Abby Weiler, Nurse, West Ann Arbor-Parkland Plaza
Abby Weiler is MVP at West Ann Arbor. She is the reliable contact point for all appointments from orthopedics to “urgent” care. Patients consistently claim that they “prefer” Abby for her professionalism and friendliness. Thank you Abby!
Janelle Burleigh, Administrative Assistant, Department of Learning Health Sciences
- Can do literally ANYTHING she is asked to do
- WILL do everything she is asked to do (and even things she is NOT asked to do), whether it is in her “Job Description” or not
- is 100% reliable without exception.
You can always count on her to be there and get things done. In addition to her extraordinary everyday performance, she often volunteers to work in absentia or to fill gaps. And she does so humbly and without fanfare. Thank you Janelle!
Lamia Marouf, IT Project Manager
Lamia always offers the best experience to its customers. Over the past year, she has led several institutional drivers. These projects have significantly improved overall patient care for Michigan Medicine and UM Health West. She works tirelessly to meet deadlines and is extremely adept at who and when to engage various stakeholders. She is respectful, polite and energetic. Thank you Lamia!
Susanne Pryce, Compliance Director
Susanne always goes the extra 15 miles! She is ready to help everyone and always takes on the heavy tasks. People from all areas of UM Health count on her to help them with questions and concerns. She is a trustworthy, dependable and kind person who strongly believes in building a culture of integrity and shared values. UM Health is fortunate to have Susanne on their team!
Brenda Keele and Diane Bellomo, Canton Health Center Radiology
Thank you Brenda and Diane! They have proposed an innovative idea to rearrange the Canton Radiology lobby chairs to allow for a smoother patient check-in process. Moving a row of chairs also created more space for patients with walking difficulties and reduced the frequency of overhearing other patients’ PHI. I appreciate your creative thinking and process improvement to improve the patient experience!
Administration Specialists, Communications Department (Christy Barnes, Asia Battle, Tracy McLean, Amy VanBrussel)
The administrative team of specialists in the Communications department deserves the MVP award! The team consistently excels at delivering strategic, value-added work to the department that contributes to its overall success and excellent reputation. Individually, each member has built a set of core competencies and area of expertise while also focusing on ensuring team success. It is an absolute privilege to see them grow as leaders.
- LSS Payroll Team (Amy Watson, Anna Wilson, Carin Cole, Nicole Tselios)
- Vanessa Albee, Financial Specialist, Psychiatry
- Sara Andryc, Director of Patient Care, Adult KMT and Leukemia Clinic
- Asia Battle, Administration Specialist, Department of Communications
- Michael Baughman, Head of Industrial Relations Representative, Human Resources
- Ingrid Bergin, VMD, ULAM
- Nicole Boufford, Physiotherapist
- Linda Bower, Cybersecurity Risk Manager
- Karen Bowring, GME Program Administrator
- Cheri Breadon, General Practitioner
- Jennifer Breitner, Call Center Representative, Radiology
- Michele Brown, director of social work
- Laura Byrd, Instrument Sterilizer and Processor
- Pamela Chapman, Technician, ULAM
- Garret Collins, patient services, infusion center
- Michelle Cooper, Administrative Manager
- Jamie Croy, consultant
- Mylene David, HITS
- Bernadet Deddeh, patient financial advisor
- Patricia Devost, Senior Project Manager, MM Compliance
- Michelle Drenth, Technician, ULAM
- Brynn Dudlets, MRI Technologist, UH Radiology
- Teron Erchenbrecher, Technician, ULAM
- Kelly Francis, Podiatrist, Brighton Center for Specialty Care
- Heather Gillespie, clinical pharmacist
- Bryan Hammond, End User Computing Specialist
- Gazmyne Hart, Call Center Representative, CVC med/surg
- Angela Hubbard, Customer Service Representative, Home Hospital Nursing
- Erin Hughes-Krieger, Project Intermediate Manager, Psychiatry Child Services
- Marilyn Irwin, Call Center Intermediate Supervisor, Ophthalmology
- Allison Janda, MD, assistant professor of anesthesiology
- Nicole Jones, Medical Assistant, West Ann Arbor-Parkland Plaza
- Staci Joseph, Pharmacy Technician Coordinator, Ambulatory Pharmacy
- Kayla Kaliman, Administrative Assistant, Pulmonary Medicine
- Lucy Kennedy, DVM, ULAM
- Laura Klahn-Davenport, pharmacy technician, outpatient pharmacy
- Tricia Laesch, Security Alert Systems Analyst/Coordinator
- Angela Lee, Administrative Assistant, MEND Clinic
- Katie Letts, Call Center Representative, General Pediatrics
- Allison Lewin, RN, CVC
- David MacIntyre, Executive Director, Nursing Services
- Michelle Matuska, Patient Services Operator, Infusion Core
- Stephanie Mautner, Technician, ULAM
- Tracy McLean, Administration Specialist, Communications Department
- Cassie McNulty, Communications Manager, Human Resources
- Kathleen Michael, RN, West Ann Arbor-Parkland Plaza
- Emily Miller, Nurse, Congenital Heart Center
- Lynette Miller, call center supervisor, OB/GYN
- Mardella Mosley, physician assistant, Taubman Medical Specialties
- Rajan Nair, Ph.D., Associate Research Scientist, Dermatology
- Steven Orlowski, End User Computing Specialist
- Jessica Ricciardi, Talent Acquisition Specialist, Human Resources
- Christopher Savoie, Rehabilitation Engineer, Wheelchair Seating Service
- Pamela Schultz, Division Manager, Environmental Services
- Julia Scott, Administrative Assistant, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Madison Shafer-Smith, Patient Service Intermediate, Cancer Center Maize
- Cassandra Sheedy, Clinical Documentation Specialist, Otolaryngology
- Laura Simon, Physician Assistant, Plastic Surgery
- Amy Spencer, call center rep, general medicine
- Philip Stuart, Senior Research Associate, Dermatology
- Claire Swinton, Technician, ULAM
- Jessica Taylor, Anesthesia Technician
- Katheryn White, Botox Referral Coordinator, Neurology
- Timothy White, End User Computing Specialist
- Michelle Williams, End User Computing Specialist
- Karen Wutke, Administrator, MM Compliance
- Zhaolin Zhang, Research Laboratory Specialist, Dermatology